Technically it all started in 1939 at a game between the University of Oregon and The Ohio State University – welcome to the first ever NCAA men’s basketball tournament! Now as we start talking trash and filling in our brackets – here are some fun facts that might impress your friends…
- Originally there were only 8 teams that participated in the tournament – a far cry from the 65 teams we see today
- The most successful team in NCAA men’s tournament? The UCLA Bruins with 11 championships.
- Most Outstanding Player in history? Lew Alcindor, later Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, won the award three times in 1967, 1968 and 1968
- Brent Musburger was the first to use the term “March Madness ®” on air
- The NIT used to be the premiere basketball event
- Austin Carr has the record for the most point in a game 61!
- LMU has the record for the most points by a team in one game- 149 and it was against Michigan, who by the way scored 115 points that game – and YES it was the game that holds the most points scored between two teams
So if you love college hoops like we do – fill out that bracket, pull up a chair and enjoy – there is nothing like it… until April… and Tigers baseball!